[lustre-discuss] Lustre optimize for spares data files ?

Tung-Han Hsieh thhsieh at twcp1.phys.ntu.edu.tw
Sat Sep 12 10:52:34 PDT 2020

Dear Andreas,

Sorry for replying late. In the past days we fell into a nightmare
of upgrading a large Lustre system from version 1.8.8 directly to
version 2.10.7. Fortunately everything seems done.

Our scenario of storing large sparse data file is simple. We have
standard C code for some computation. After computation, it produced
a large sparse matrix around 3GB with more than 90% of zeros. It just
uses fwrite() to write the whole matrix into a binary file.

We send this code to run in many different clusters. We expect that
every generated data file should be size 3GB. But occationally we
found in one cluster (which was developed by other lab, not our group)
the actual occupied size of each file is only less than 10%. We use

	du -s <filename>

to see this phenomena. But we don't know what's the backend file
system that cluster use, because we only see that the storage is
mounted as nfs4.

Note that our C code only use fwrite() write the whole large sparse
matrix. There is no trick played in our code. So the "compression"
of the large sparse file must be done by the backend file system
itself. So I am just curious whether Lustre has this implementation
or not.

It seems that Lustre with ZFS backend can do this, because the file
compression is actually done by ZFS. Hence here comes another question:
If we have a lot of OSTs, some with ZFS, and some with ldiskfs, is it
possible to enable file compression on the ZFS backend only without
any side effect in the whole Lustre file system ?

Any comments are very welcome. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

T.H.Hsieh