[lustre-discuss] Cannot move data after upgrading to Lustre 2.12.6

Tung-Han Hsieh thhsieh at twcp1.phys.ntu.edu.tw
Thu Feb 18 11:53:41 PST 2021

Dear All,

Recently we found a strange problem of the upgraded Lustre file system.

We have several very old Lustre file systems with version 1.8.8. We first
upgraded them to 2.10.6. It seems ok. Then we upgraded them to 2.12.6.
Now we encouter a problem of moving file from directory A to directory B:

	mv A/file B/

where both A/ and B/ are existing directories since version 1.8.8. The
error message says:

	mv: cannot move 'A/file' to 'B/file': No data available

But we have no problem of opening A/file, copying A/file to B/file, and
no problem of running "mv A/file A/file1".

More strange is, if we rename both directories, then the problem went away:

	mv A A1
	mv B B1
	mv A1/file B1/		# no problem at all

But if we rename only one of them, the problem still remains.

It seems that there is something missing during the upgrade. Could anyone
know how to fix it ?

Thank you very much.

T.H.Hsieh