[lustre-discuss] File Level Redundancy - Data Movement

Indivar Nair indivar.nair at techterra.in
Sat Feb 20 09:10:18 PST 2021

Thanks, Cory.

So -

1. When the "lfs mirror" command is run, the file(s) are copied by the
client from one pool to another
    Pool A -> Client Machine -> Pool B (mirror)
2. If a mirrored file is modified, the modifications are saved only to the
primary mirror
    We will then have to run the "lfs mirror resync" command to synchronize
all the mirror copies
    Pool A (modified file) -> Client Machine -> Pool B (mirror)

So for this feature to be really effective, we will need a dedicated
client  that does this copying / re-copying continuously.
And if there are a lot of mirrored files, the dedicated client will have to
be very fast too.

3. In future it may be possible to move these files using HSM agents.

Regards,

Indivar Nair