[lustre-discuss] [EXTERNAL] Re: OST not being used

Mohr, Rick mohrrf at ornl.gov
Mon Jul 12 08:14:54 PDT 2021

Alastair,

Sorry this response is a bit late, but I thought I would add a bit of info in case you ever run across the problem again.

Since the mds assigns osts for new files, you may want to check if the mds can contact the oss server.  If the mds thinks those osts are unavailable, it won't assign them to new files (even if the client has no problem accessing those osts).   Also, is it possible that an admin marked those osts as inactive on the mds?  Sometimes that is done to prevent new data from going to certain osts (for instance, if they were getting very full), but the clients still see those osts as active which allows them the continue reading from existing files that already reside on those osts.

Just a couple of possibilities you might want to check if you run into this problem again.

-Rick