[lustre-discuss] Lustre over ZFS - RAIDz 9+2

Indivar Nair indivar.nair at techterra.in
Mon Jun 28 11:34:04 PDT 2021

Hi ...,

I have a couple of questions on Lustre over ZFS.
I have been trying to find answers to these questions on the Internet for
quite some time now, but couldn't find any.

Here are the questions -

1.
Why is it recommended that we create a zpool/OST with 9+2 RAIDz2 arrays
instead of the usual 8+2 RAID6 type arrays that align with Lustre's 1MB RPC
properly?

2.
If we used 4K AF drives, with ashift=12, what size chunks (per disk) will a
9+2 RAIDz2 array with 1MB record size create?

Thanks.

Regards,

Indivar Nair