[lustre-discuss] Multiple IB interfaces

Alastair Basden a.g.basden at durham.ac.uk
Tue Mar 9 07:18:35 PST 2021

Hi,

We are installing some new Lustre servers with 2 InfiniBand cards, 1
attached to each CPU socket.  Storage is nvme, again, some drives attached
to each socket.

We want to ensure that data to/from each drive uses the appropriate IB
card, and doesn't need to travel through the inter-cpu link.  Data being
written is fairly easy I think, we just set that OST to the appropriate IP
address.  However, data being read may well go out the other NIC, if I
understand correctly.

What setup do we need for this?

I think probably not bonding, as that will presumably not tie
NIC interfaces to cpus.  But I also see a note in the Lustre manual:

"""If the server has multiple interfaces on the same subnet, the Linux
kernel will send all traffic using the first configured interface. This is
a limitation of Linux, not Lustre. In this case, network interface bonding
should be used. For more information about network interface bonding, see
Chapter 7, Setting Up Network Interface Bonding."""

(plus, no idea if bonding is supported on InfiniBand).

Thanks,
Alastair.