[lustre-discuss] [EXTERNAL] Converting MGS to ZFS - HA Config Question

Mohr, Rick mohrrf at ornl.gov
Fri May 28 13:46:47 PDT 2021

Sid,

The --failnode option is the sort of the "old way" of configuring failover.  It is assumed that the target will always be mounted for the first time on the primary server, and so the --failnode option only needs to list the secondary server NID (because the primary server NID is implied by whatever host mounts the target first).

The --servicenode option is the preferred way of configuring failover now.  It does not make any assumptions about primary/secondary nodes, but as a result, you need to specify the NIDs of all nodes that could possibly mount the target.  The easiest way to do this is to specify the "--servicenode <nid>" option multiple times (once for each node).

And as you have seen, the two options are not compatible with each other.

-Rick