[lustre-discuss] Lustre and server upgrade

STEPHENS, DEAN - US dean.stephens at caci.com
Thu Nov 18 11:24:06 PST 2021

I am by no means a Lustre expert and am seeking some help with our system. I am not able to get log file to post as the servers are in the closed area with no access to the Internet.

Here is a bit of history of our system:
The OSS and MDS nodes were RHEL6 and running a Luster server the kernel 2.6.32-431.23.3.el6_lustre.x86_64 and the Lustre version of 2.5.3. the client version was 2.10. That was in a working state.
We upgraded the OSS ad MDS nodes to RHEL7 and installed Lustre server 2.12 software and kernel.
The attached 11 LUNs are showing up as /dev/sdb - /dev/sdl
Right now, on the OSS nodes, if I use the command tunefs.luster /dev/sdb I get some data back saying that Lustre data has been found but at the bottom of the out put it shows "tunefs.lustre: Unable to mount /dev/sdb: No such device" and "Is the ldiskfs module available"
When I do a "modprobe -v lustre" I do not see ldiskfs.ko as being loaded even though there is a ldiskfs.ko file in /lib/modules/3.10.0-1160.2.1.el7_lustre.x86_64/extra/lustre/fs directory. I am not sure how to get it to load in the modprobe command.
I used "insmod /lib/modules/3.10.0-1160.2.1.el7_lustre.x86_64/extra/lustre/fs/ ldiskfs.ko" and re-ran the "tunefs.luster /dev/sdb" command with the same result.
If I use the same command on the MDS nodes I get "no Lustre data found and /dev/sdb has not been formatted with mkfs.lustre". I am not sure that is what is needed here as the MDS nodes do not really have the lustre data as it is the meta data server.
I tried to use the command "tunefs.lustre --mgs --erase_params --mgsnode=<IP address>@tcp --writeconf --dryrun /dev/sdb" and get the error "/dev/sdb has not been formatted with mkfs.lustre".

I need some help and guidance and I can provide what may be needed though it will need to be typed out as I am not able to get actual log files from the system.

Dean Stephens
CACI
Linux System Admin

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or subsidiary companies, which may be company sensitive, proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. The information is intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above. If you are not an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately.