[lustre-discuss] Changing default recovery window time settings

Spitz, Cory James cory.spitz at hpe.com
Tue Aug 9 14:08:13 PDT 2022

The classical way to put a limit on recovery is to use the recovery_time_soft and recovery_time_hard mount options.

See the mount.lustre options: https://doc.lustre.org/lustre_manual.xhtml#idm139974521647280

recovery_time_soft=timeout
Allows timeout seconds for clients to reconnect for recovery after a server crash. This timeout is incrementally extended if it is about to expire and the server is still handling new connections from recoverable clients.
The default soft recovery timeout is 3 times the value of the Lustre timeout parameter (see Section 39.5.2, “Setting Static Timeouts”<https://doc.lustre.org/lustre_manual.xhtml#section_c24_nt5_dl>). The default Lustre timeout is 100 seconds, which would make the soft recovery timeout default to 300 seconds (5 minutes). The soft recovery timeout is set at mount time and will not change if the Lustre timeout is changed after mount time.
recovery_time_hard=timeout
The server is allowed to incrementally extend its timeout up to a hard maximum of timeout seconds.
The default hard recovery timeout is 9 times the value of the Lustre timeout parameter (see Section 39.5.2, “Setting Static Timeouts”<https://doc.lustre.org/lustre_manual.xhtml#section_c24_nt5_dl>). The default Lustre timeout is 100 seconds, which would make the hard recovery timeout default to 900 seconds (15 minutes). The hard recovery timeout is set at mount time and will not change if the Lustre timeout is changed after mount time.

> Alternatively, any way to manually end the recovery window would be appreciated
Yes, I think that the abort_recovery option to lctl is allows you to do this at runtime.  See: https://doc.lustre.org/lustre_manual.xhtml#idm139974522276784

abort_recovery

Aborts the recovery process on a re-starting MDT or OST.

-Cory