[lustre-discuss] [EXTERNAL] Re: Help with recovery of data

Vicker, Darby J. (JSC-EG111)[Jacobs Technology, Inc.] darby.vicker-1 at nasa.gov
Wed Jun 22 20:52:59 PDT 2022

Thanks Andreas – I appreciate the info.

I am dd’ing the MDT block device (both of them – more details below) to separate storage now.

I’ve written this up on the ZFS mailing list.

https://zfsonlinux.topicbox.com/groups/zfs-discuss/Tcb8a3ef663db0031/need-help-with-data-recovery-if-possible

Actually, in the process of doing that, I think I see what is going on.  More details in the ZFS post but it looks like the block device names for the ZFS volumes got swapped on the crash and reboot.  So /dev/zd0 is a clone of the February snapshot and /dev/zd16 is actually our primary (current) MDT.  If I mount zd16 and poke around, I see lots of files newer than February.

[root at hpfs-fsl-mds1 ~]# mount -t ldiskfs -o ro /dev/zd16 /mnt/mdt_backup/
[root at hpfs-fsl-mds1 ~]# cd /mnt/mdt_backup/
[root at hpfs-fsl-mds1 mdt_backup]# ls -l PENDING/
total 0
-rw------- 1 ecdavis2 damocles 0 Jun 17 11:03 0x200021094:0x3b26:0x0
-rw------- 1 rharpold rharpold 0 Jun 14 12:27 0x200021096:0x1337:0x0
[root at hpfs-fsl-mds1 mdt_backup]#

So it looks like we have a shot at recovery.  I hope to get more guidance on the ZFS list on how to properly swap zd0 and zd16 back.  I’m also tarring up the contents of the read only mount of zd16.  In all:

dd if=/dev/zd0 of=/internal/zd0.dd.2022.06.22 bs=1M
dd if=/dev/zd16 of=/internal/zd16.dd.2022.06.22 bs=1M
cd /mnt/mdt_backup ; tar cf /internal/zd16.tar --xattrs --xattrs-include="trusted.*" --sparse .

Please let me know if there is something else we should consider doing before attempting recovery.

Actually, I’m 100% certain this is our current MDT.  I see files and directories in /mnt/mdt_backup/ROOT that were just created in the last couple weeks.  Happy day.

One other question.  We are seeing a ton of these in the MDS logs since the crash.

Jun 22 21:53:16 hpfs-fsl-mds1 kernel: LustreError: 14346:0:(qmt_handler.c:699:qmt_dqacq0()) $$$ Release too much! uuid:scratch-MDT0000-lwp-OST000f_UUID release: 67108864 granted:0, total:0  qmt:scratch-QMT0000 pool:dt-0x0 id:5697 enforced:0 hard:0 soft:0 granted:0 time:0 qunit: 0 edquot:0 may_rel:0 revoke:0 default:yes

I assume this is not unexpected with an MDT that got reverted?