[lustre-discuss] Patched or Patch less kernel

Degremont, Aurelien degremoa at amazon.fr
Thu Oct 20 00:57:59 PDT 2022

Hi Christopher,

As far as I know, this will only prevent you from using few features that requires either a recent Linux kernel or a kernel with the appropriate backports for them to work. From the top of my head, I'm thinking as project quotas for ldiskfs, but you are using ZFS, or client side encryption but this is not yet available in 2.12. Other may know better, but you should be pretty safe going with the stock kernel if using Lustre 2.12 and ZFS w.r.t patched kernel.

Aurélien

Le 19/10/2022 19:35, « lustre-discuss au nom de Mountford, Christopher J. (Dr.) via lustre-discuss » <lustre-discuss-bounces at lists.lustre.org au nom de lustre-discuss at lists.lustre.org> a écrit :

    Is there any disadvantage to using a stock distribution kernel on our Centos 7 lustre servers instead of the _lustre kernel provided in the lustre release (version 2.12.9)?

    We build spl/zfs and the lustre-zfs kernel modules using dkms and standardized on the kernel in the lustre server release a while ago.

    Kind Regards,
    Christopher.