[lustre-discuss] OST replacement procedure

Thomas Roth t.roth at gsi.de
Wed Oct 26 00:32:57 PDT 2022

Hi all,

about the correct procedure to replace an OST:
I read the recent issues reported here by Robert Redl, the LU-15000 by Stephane and in particular his talk at LAD22:

Why is it important to _not_ reuse old OST indices?

Understandable if you want to remove the OST, but not replace it.

In the past - I think in Lustre 1.8 - when there was no "mkfs.lustre --replace" available, over time we ended up with a long list of OSTs continually
'lctl --deactivate'd on all clients, very ugly.
And were so happy when explicit indices and '--replace' were introduced, in particular because I was terribly afraid of creating holes in the list of
active OSTs ('holes' might have been a No-No in some past version?)

Nowadays, everybody wants to avoid old OST incides - with 'lctl --del-ost' a specific command for doing that comfortably is developed.
Why?

Best regards,
Thomas