[lustre-discuss] Lustre and ZFS ZIL

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Fri Sep 23 23:05:29 PDT 2022

As the links say, Lustre cannot use ZFS ZIL because the ZIL is used up at the "filesystem" layer (ZPL), but Lustre interfaces to ZFS at a lower layer (DMU).  Lustre *can* work with L2ARC to *cache* data from the HDDs.  You could also use a "special flash VDEV" (Metadata Allocation Class) to store ZFS metadata/small blocks on flash, and only store larger data blocks on HDD.

Cheers, Andreas