[lustre-discuss] Lustre caching and NUMA nodes

John Bauer bauerj at iodoctors.com
Mon Dec 4 14:06:37 PST 2023

I have a an OSC caching question.  I am running a dd process which
writes an 8GB file.  The file is on lustre, striped 8x1M. This is run on
a system that has 2 NUMA nodes (  cpu sockets). All the data is
apparently stored on one NUMA node (node1 in the plot below) until node1
runs out of free memory.  Then it appears that dd comes to a stop (no
more writes complete) until lustre dumps the data from the node1.  Then
dd continues writing, but now the data is stored on the second NUMA
node, node0.  Why does lustre go to the trouble of dumping node1 and
then not use node1's memory, when there was always plenty of free memory
on node0?

I'll forego the explanation of the plot.  Hopefully it is clear enough.
If someone has questions about what the plot is depicting, please ask.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/pijgnnlb8iilkptbeekaz/dd.png?rlkey=3abonv5tx8w5w5m08bn24qb7x&dl=0

Thanks for any insight shared,

John