[lustre-discuss] OST not freeing space for deleted files?

Daniel Szkola dszkola at fnal.gov
Wed Jan 11 13:34:52 PST 2023

We recently had to take an OSS node that hosts two OSTs out of service to test the hardware as it was randomly power cycling.

I migrated all files off of the two OSTs and after some testing we brought the node back into service after recreating the ZFS pools
and the two OSTs. Since then it’s been mostly working fine, however we’ve noticed a few group quotas reporting file usage that doesn’t
seem to match what is actually on the filesystem. The inode counts seem to be correct, but the space used is way too high.

After lots of poking around I am seeing this on the two OSTS:

osp.lfsc-OST0004-osc-MDT0000.sync_changes=13802381
osp.lfsc-OST0005-osc-MDT0000.sync_changes=13060667

I upped the max_rpcs_in_progress and max_rpcs_in_flight for the two OSTs, but that just caused the numbers to dip slightly.
All other OSTs have 0 for that value. Also destroys_in_flight show similar numbers for the two OSTs.

Any ideas how I can remedy this?

Lustre 2.12.8
ZFS 0.7.13

—