[lustre-discuss] o2ib on RoCE

Simon Guilbault simon.guilbault at calculquebec.ca
Fri Jun 16 12:01:42 PDT 2023

We are not using RoCE in production, but a few years ago we tested it with
25Gb/s cards. From what I recall, RDMA was working as expected using the
MOFED stack, running lnet bench was using a few cores with TCP, while the
same benchmark with RoCE was using almost 0 CPU cores.

The only change I had documented was this one to use o2ib instead of TCP on
the ethernet interface:
[root at server ~]# cat /etc/modprobe.d/lustre.conf
options lnet networks=o2ib(ens2)

That presentation from CaRCC might be helpful:
"A practical summary of our experience standing up and living with an
all-Broadcom RDMA over Converged Ethernet (RoCE) fabric in support of our
most recent cluster acquisition at the University of Arizona.  Presented
by: Adam Michel - University of Arizona"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6xHirUtx7w