[lustre-discuss] Question regarding user access during recovery and journal replay

Patrick Farrell pfarrell at ddn.com
Tue Mar 14 07:36:42 PDT 2023

Marc,

[Re-posting to the list...]

No, it’s fine to have interaction during those times. The system is designed to do that work online.  Depending what you’re trying to do and what you’re accessing, some client operations will experience delays, but that’s it.  For example, during failover/recovery for a particular OST or MDT, no new IO to that target will complete.  But the user programs will just wait - it’s safe to leave them running.

So recovery, etc, will show up to users as delays in some requests, but it’s safe to do with users accessing the system.

Regards,

Patrick