[lustre-discuss] [EXTERNAL] Re: Joining files

Gael.DELBARY at CEA.FR Gael.DELBARY at CEA.FR
Fri Mar 31 01:36:22 PDT 2023

Hi,

Yes squashfs is a pretty good alternative and rocks if you have a read-only workload on many tiny files. 2 advantages :
1 -  like Andreas has said, for Lustre it is "light", only one file to "manage" (metadata load will be low)
2 -  like you have said userspace tools already exist in common distro (easy to manage on client side)

But I think ext4 loopback is a more versatile solution but you need to deal with "root privilege requirements" and find a solution to mount the loopback file on demand for yours clients.
The big advantage with ext4 loopback is that you benefit of all ext4 debugging tools, which can be pretty useful on some use case (loopback file corruption for example). More you can also write inside the loopback image and it is pretty efficient in kernel post CentOS 7. The grail is the CCI feature but I don't know what is the status?

Best regards.

Gael