[lustre-discuss] MDT expansion

Peter Grandi pg at lustre.list.sabi.co.uk
Thu May 18 06:37:06 PDT 2023

 > I want to use Data on Metadata. Before DOM I need to expand Metadata
pool size. Backend file System is ZFS.

 > What is the best strategy for expansion of MDT pool?

Somewhat approximately, Lustre (like most other shared filesystem types)
does different layouts by *directory*. So you actually have two options:

* Expand in-place the existing MDT.
* Add a new MDT for DOM associated with a specific directory.

 > ZFS supports online expansion. Do you recommend online expansion

ZFS surely supports online expansion of "zpools" by adding "vdevs",
which is very solid (and very recent ZFS versions allow even adding *to*
"vdevs", which is a bit hairy).

Note: adding "vdevs" to a "zpool" may not be necessarily what you want
to do, unless it is "zpool" of *mirror* "vdevs".

Note: expanding a "zpool" by adding "vdevs" does not re-balance the data.

The question is whether mounting a ZFS filesystem with '-t lustre'
somewhat means that "zpool" containing that filesystem should not be
touched.

 > or do you recommend to stop Lustre beforehand?

I am about to post a question related to that. I think that the answer
is "not necessary", but I would "lct barrier_freeze" just in case.
Also even if one wants to stop, there is no need to stop the OSTs, just
un-mount the MDT filesystem.

 > [...] Zfs 0.7

That's a bit ancient...