[lustre-discuss] [EXTERNAL] ZFS zpool/filesystem operations while mounted with '-t lustre'

Mohr, Rick mohrrf at ornl.gov
Thu May 18 07:01:33 PDT 2023

Peter,

You might want to take a look at this: https://www.opensfs.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Wed06-CroweTom-lug17-ost_data_migration_using_ZFS.pdf

It's a few years old, but it shows how IU used zfs send/receive to copy data from osts.  I worked with someone several years ago to do basically the same procedure to make incremental copies of mdt data when we were attempting to switch over to a new mds server.  You don't need to unmount lustre in order to do the incremental backups.

--Rick

On 5/18/23, 9:38 AM, "lustre-discuss on behalf of Peter Grandi via lustre-discuss" <lustre-discuss-bounces at lists.lustre.org <mailto:lustre-discuss-bounces at lists.lustre.org> on behalf of lustre-discuss at lists.lustre.org <mailto:lustre-discuss at lists.lustre.org>> wrote:

I have a Lustre 2.15.2 instance "temp01" on ZFS 2.1.5 (on EL8), and I
just want to backup the MDT of the instance (I am mirroring the data on
two separate "pools" of servers).

The "zpool" is called "temp01_mdt_000" and so is the filesystem, so the
'/etc/fstab' mount line is (I have set legacy ZFS mount-points):

> temp01_mdt_000/temp01_mdt_000 /srv/temp01/temp01_mdt_000 lustre defaults,noatime,auto 0 0

As usual '/srv/temp01/temp01_mdt_000' is opaque (no access permissions)
when mounted as 'lustre', but anyhow I would like to backup a snapshot
of it, using 'zfs send'.

If I use 'zpool list' and 'zfs list' I see the relevant details even if
it is mounted as 'lustre'. If I un-mount it and re-mount it as 'zfs' it
looks ordinary, but I would rather not do that.

In theory, however it is mounted, I should be able to (suitably preceded
by 'lctl barrier_freeze') create a snapshot for it, and mount that as
'zfs' to some other mount-point and then 'zfs send' that.

Before doing it on a live Lustre instance (I can't easily afford to
setup a test Lustre instance in the short run) I would like some
confirmation that this is meant to work ideally by someone who does it
routinely :-).