[lustre-discuss] [EXTERNAL] Re: ZFS zpool/filesystem operations while mounted with '-t lustre'

Mohr, Rick mohrrf at ornl.gov
Thu May 18 07:21:35 PDT 2023

On 5/18/23, 10:15 AM, "lustre-discuss on behalf of Peter Grandi via lustre-discuss" <lustre-discuss-bounces at lists.lustre.org <mailto:lustre-discuss-bounces at lists.lustre.org> on behalf of lustre-discuss at lists.lustre.org <mailto:lustre-discuss at lists.lustre.org>> wrote:

  I was indeed reading that but I was a bit hesitant because the
  "zpool"/"zfs" operations are bracketed by 'service lustre stop
  ...'/'service lustre start ...' commands which I hope to avoid.

You only need to stop lustre if you are planning to decommission the old hardware and switch over entirely to the new hardware.  In that case, stopping lustre is needed to ensure that no new content is created on the mdt during the final sync.  If you are just trying to keep an on-going backup of the mdt on another zpool, you can just keep doing incremental snapshots and don't have to stop lustre (with the knowledge that your backup of the mdt data will be slightly old).

--Rick