[lustre-discuss] Cannot mount MDT after upgrading from Lustre 2.12.6 to 2.15.3

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Sun Oct 1 14:53:50 PDT 2023

On Oct 1, 2023, at 00:36, Tung-Han Hsieh via lustre-discuss <lustre-discuss at lists.lustre.org> wrote:
> I should apologize for replying late. Here I would like to clarify why in my opinion the Lustre ldiskfs code is not self-contained.
>
> In the past, to compile lustre with ldiskfs, we needed to patch Linux kernel using the patches provided by Lustre source code. And YES, for the recent Lustre versions, the necessary patches are fewer, and even OK without applying any patches to Linux kernel.  However, there are another patches to Lustre ldiskfs code, namely copying Linux kernel ext4fs code into Lustre source tree, applying patches provided by Lustre, and make it becomes the ldiskfs code, during the compile time.

Hello T.H.,
it is true that Lustre needs to patch the ldiskfs code in order to properly integrate with the ext4/jbd2 transaction handling, and to add some features that ext4 is lacking that Lustre depends on.  Ideally we could get these features integrated into the upstream ext4 code to avoid the need to patch it, or at least minimize the number of patches, but that is often difficult and time consuming and doesn't get done as often as anyone would want it to.

Lustre is an open-source project, and if you are depending on the Linux-5.4 stable kernel branch for your servers, it would be welcome for you to submit patches to update the kernel patch series if there are issues arising with these patches with a new stable kernel, as other developers maintain the kernel patch series for the distros that they are interested in (primarily RHEL derivatives, but more recently Ubuntu).

> [...]
> Applying patch patches/rhel8/ext4-prealloc.patch
> Applying patch patches/ubuntu18/ext4-osd-iop-common.patch
> Applying patch patches/ubuntu19/ext4-misc.patch
> Applying patch patches/rhel8/ext4-mballoc-extra-checks.patch
> Applying patch patches/linux-5.4/ext4-hash-indexed-dir-dotdot-update.patch
> Applying patch patches/linux-5.4/ext4-kill-dx-root.patch
> Applying patch patches/rhel7.6/ext4-mballoc-pa-free-mismatch.patch
> Applying patch patches/linux-5.4/ext4-data-in-dirent.patch
> Applying patch patches/rhel8/ext4-nocmtime.patch
> Applying patch patches/base/ext4-htree-lock.patch
> Applying patch patches/linux-5.4/ext4-pdirop.patch
> Applying patch patches/rhel8/ext4-max-dir-size.patch
> Applying patch patches/rhel8/ext4-corrupted-inode-block-bitmaps-handling-patches.patch
> Applying patch patches/linux-5.4/ext4-give-warning-with-dir-htree-growing.patch
> Applying patch patches/ubuntu18/ext4-jcb-optimization.patch
> Applying patch patches/linux-5.4/ext4-attach-jinode-in-writepages.patch
> Applying patch patches/rhel8/ext4-dont-check-before-replay.patch
> Applying patch patches/rhel7.6/ext4-use-GFP_NOFS-in-ext4_inode_attach_jinode.patch
> Applying patch patches/rhel7.6/ext4-export-orphan-add.patch
> Applying patch patches/rhel8/ext4-export-mb-stream-allocator-variables.patch
> Applying patch patches/ubuntu19/ext4-iget-with-flags.patch
> Applying patch patches/linux-5.4/export-ext4fs-dirhash-helper.patch
> Applying patch patches/linux-5.4/ext4-misc.patch
> Applying patch patches/linux-5.4/ext4-simple-blockalloc.patch
> Applying patch patches/linux-5.4/ext4-xattr-disable-credits-check.patch
> Applying patch patches/base/ext4-no-max-dir-size-limit-for-iam-objects.patch
> Applying patch patches/rhel8/ext4-ialloc-uid-gid-and-pass-owner-down.patch
> Applying patch patches/base/ext4-projid-xattrs.patch
> Applying patch patches/linux-5.4/ext4-enc-flag.patch
> Applying patch patches/base/ext4-delayed-iput.patch
> Now at patch patches/base/ext4-delayed-iput.patch
> ====================================================================================================
>
> If you check the Lustre source code, before running "make", the directory "Lustre-2.15.3/ldiskfs/linux-stage" does not exist. After running "make",
> it was created by the above patching procedure.
>
> Look into the Lustre codes further, there is a directory providing the patches to create ldiskfs code:
>
> lustre-2.15.3/ldiskfs/kernel_patches/series
>
> Obviously these patches highly depend on the version of Linux kernel. We have to balance the requirement to drive our hardware, the long-term maintained Linux kernel (see https://www.kernel.org/), and the compatibility with Lustre. For now, we are lucky to find vanilla Linux-5.4.135 fulfilling the above requirements. In case that Linux-5.4.135 has bugs in driving our fiber storage device, and we have to change to, say, Linux-5.4.150 or later, then we will get into trouble. This rare situation did happen before.

In the majority of cases, if a patch series fails to apply after a maintenance update (e.g. 5.4.135 to 5.4.150) this is usually due to trivial conflicts in the patches that can be resolved with a small edit to the patch or the patched file, with very minimal need to understand the code details.  See ldiskfs/README for details.

Alternately, you might consider to use a kernel more commonly used on the servers.  For example, the Ubuntu20 series seems to have a similar version and looks like it is updated more regularly than the vanilla kernel patches.

> So it would be very appreciated if, in the future release, the ldiskfs code could be a self-contained code similar to ZFS, instead of copying from Linux kernel and applying patches to convert to ldiskfs code. Doing this, it is expected that ldiskfs could be less dependent on the minor revisions of Linux kernel, to bring us more freedom of choosing a suitable Linux kernel version in our applications.

We've thought about this in the past - to provide a pre-patched ldiskfs source tree with Lustre, but then the same complexity exists in a different form.  The kernel APIs are not "static" and the common ldiskfs code would need to have conditional build support for a wide range of kernel versions.  It would need to be continually updated to include all of the patches in the upstream ext4 code.  It would also make tracking and merging of ext4/ldiskfs patches into upstream Linux *much* more complex, because the changes would no longer be available as separate patches, but would need to be extracted out of the patched ldiskfs source tree itself.

As I mentioned above, for "maintenance" kernel updates, the changes needed to apply patches are usually trivial, and if that work needs to be done by someone then it would benefit everyone in the community to submit the patches to Gerrit to avoid the problem for the next user.  That is how an open-source community works.

Cheers, Andreas

Lustre Principal Architect
Whamcloud