[lustre-discuss] Failing build of lustre client on Debian 12

Jan Andersen jan at comind.io
Wed Oct 4 07:26:55 PDT 2023

Hi,

I've just successfully built the lustre 2.15.3 client on Debian 11 and need to do the same on Debian 12; however, configure fails with:

checking if Linux kernel was built with CONFIG_FHANDLE in or as module... no
configure: error:

Lustre fid handling requires that CONFIG_FHANDLE is enabled in your kernel.

----

As far as I can see, CONFIG_FHANDLE is in fact enabled - eg:

root at debian12:~/lustre-release# grep CONFIG_FHANDLE /boot/config-6.1.38
CONFIG_FHANDLE=y

I've tried to figure out how configure checks for this, but the script is rather dense and I haven't penetrated it (yet). It seems to me there is an error in the way it checks. What is the best way forward, considering that I've already invested a lot of time and effort in setting up a slurm cluster with Debian 12?

/jan