[lustre-discuss] [EXTERNAL] [BULK] mds and mst are lost

Vicker, Darby J. (JSC-EG111)[Jacobs Technology, Inc.] darby.vicker-1 at nasa.gov
Mon Sep 25 07:45:41 PDT 2023

Sorry to hear this.  We are dealing with MDT data loss right now as well and its no fun.  Please look at my posts to the list from last week for some more information about what we are doing to recover.  Our situation is not as bad as yours, we only lost part of our MDT data (the last 3 months of a filesystem we’ve had in service for over 7 years).  If you get to the point where you can get the OST’s attached to a functioning lustre filesystem, you might be able to run an lfsck to move all of your files into lost+found.  We started our lfsck as follows:

[root at hpfs-fsl-mds1 hpfs3-eg3]# lctl lfsck_start -M scratch-MDT0000 -o

When finished, this is on a client:

[root at hpfs-fsl-lmon0 MDT0000]# \ls | head
[0x20000bdbe:0x1eae1:0x0]-R-0
[0x20000bdeb:0x12c3e:0x0]-R-0
[0x20001f801:0x296f:0x0]-R-0
[0x20001f801:0x57:0x0]-R-0
[0x20001f801:0x58:0x0]-R-0
[0x20001f805:0x1000:0x0]-R-0
[0x20001f805:0x100:0x0]-R-0
[0x20001f805:0x1001:0x0]-R-0
[0x20001f805:0x1002:0x0]-R-0
[0x20001f805:0x1003:0x0]-R-0
[root at hpfs-fsl-lmon0 MDT0000]# ls -l [0x20000bdbe:0x1eae1:0x0]-R-0
-r-------- 1 damocles_runner damocles 3162 Sep 24 14:45 [0x20000bdbe:0x1eae1:0x0]-R-0
[root at hpfs-fsl-lmon0 MDT0000]# pwd
/scratch-lustre/.lustre/lost+found/MDT0000
[root at hpfs-fsl-lmon0 MDT0000]#