[lustre-discuss] default Nodemap : clients cannot mount

Thomas Roth t.roth at gsi.de
Mon Apr 22 07:50:58 PDT 2024

Hi all,

- Lustre 2.15.4 test system  with MDS + 2 OSS + 2 administrative clients.

I activated nodemapping and put all these hosts into an "Admin" nodemap, which has the properties
`admin=1` and `trusted=1`  - all works fine.

Now there are a couple of other hosts which should not become administrative clients, but just
standard clients => they should be / remain in the "default" nodemap.

The "default" nodemap has `admin=0` and `trusted=0`, as verified by
`lctl get_param nodemap.default....`

- and these hosts cannot mount.
Error message is "l_getidentity: no such user 99"

I verified that these hosts actually are seen as "default" nodes by setting `admin=1` for one of them
- mounts.
Umount, lustre_rmmod, set `admin=0` again - does not mount anymore.

Atm I do not see what I overlooked, but I am certain this has worked before, where "before" would mean
other hardware and perhaps Lustre 2.15.1

*Switching* is still ok:
- Put client X into "Admin" nodemap, mount Lustre, remove client X from "Admin" nodemap, wait, try to
`ls` as root - fails.
Set the property `trusted=1` on the "default" nodemap, wait, try to `ls` as a user - works.

However, this defeats the purpose of having a usable default...

Regards,
Thomas

Thomas Roth
Department: Informationstechnologie
Location: SB3 2.291

GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung GmbH
Planckstraße 1, 64291 Darmstadt, Germany, www.gsi.de

Commercial Register / Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Darmstadt, HRB 1528
Managing Directors / Geschäftsführung:
Professor Dr. Paolo Giubellino, Jörg Blaurock
Chairman of the Supervisory Board / Vorsitzender des GSI-Aufsichtsrats:
Ministerialdirigent Dr. Volkmar Dietz