[lustre-discuss] [EXTERNAL] [BULK] Files created in append mode don't obey directory default stripe count

Simon Guilbault simon.guilbault at calculquebec.ca
Mon Apr 29 09:42:26 PDT 2024

This is the expected behaviour. In the original implementation of PFL, when
a file was open in append mode, the lock from 0 to EOF was initializing all
stripes of the PFL file. We have a PFL layout on our system with 1 stripe
up to 1 GB, then it increased to 4 and then 32 stripes when the file was
getting very large. This was a problem with software that was creating 4kb
log files (like slurm.out) because they were creating files with > 32
stripes because of the append mode. This was patched a few releases ago,
that behaviour can be changed, but I would recommend keeping 1 stripe for
files that are using append mode.

>From the manual:
O_APPEND mode. When files are opened for append, they instantiate all
uninitialized components expressed in the layout. Typically, log files are
opened for append, and complex layouts can be inefficient.
Note
The mdd.*.append_stripe_count and mdd.*.append_pool options can be used to
specify special default striping for files created with O_APPEND.

On Mon, Apr 29, 2024 at 11:21 AM Vicker, Darby J. (JSC-EG111)[Jacobs
Technology, Inc.] via lustre-discuss <lustre-discuss at lists.lustre.org>