[lustre-discuss] ldiskfs / mdt size limits

Thomas Roth t.roth at gsi.de
Fri Feb 2 05:33:33 PST 2024

Hi all,

  confused  about size limits:

I distinctly remember trying to format a ~19 TB disk / LV for use as an MDT, with ldiskfs, and failing to do so: the max size for the underlying ext4 is 16 TB.
Knew that, had ignoed that, but not a problem back then - just adapted the logical volume's size.

Now I have a 24T disk, and neither mkfs.lustre nor Lustre itself have show any issues with it.
'df -h' does show the 24T, 'df -ih' shows the expected 4G of inodes.
I suppose this MDS has a lot of space for directories and stuff, or for DOM.
But why does it work in the first place? ldiskfs extends beyond all limits these days?

Regards,
Thomas

Thomas Roth
Department: Informationstechnologie
Location: SB3 2.291

GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung GmbH
Planckstraße 1, 64291 Darmstadt, Germany, www.gsi.de

Commercial Register / Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Darmstadt, HRB 1528
Managing Directors / Geschäftsführung:
Professor Dr. Paolo Giubellino, Jörg Blaurock
Chairman of the Supervisory Board / Vorsitzender des GSI-Aufsichtsrats:
Ministerialdirigent Dr. Volkmar Dietz