[lustre-discuss] MDS hardware - NVME?

Thomas Roth t.roth at gsi.de
Fri Jan 5 08:01:11 PST 2024

Dear all,

considering NVME storage for the next MDS.

As I understand, NVME disks are bundled in software, not by a hardware raid controller.
This would be done using Linux software raid, mdadm, correct?

We have some experience with ZFS, which we use on our OSTs.
But I would like to stick to ldiskfs for the MDTs, and a zpool with a zvol on top which is then formatted with ldiskfs - to much voodoo...

How is this handled elsewhere? Any experiences?

The available devices are quite large. If I create a raid-10 out of 4 disks, e.g. 7 TB each, my MDT will be 14 TB - already close to the 16 TB limit.
So no need for a box with lots of U.3 slots.

But for MDS operations, we will still need a powerful dual-CPU system with lots of RAM.
Then the NVME devices should be distributed between the CPUs?
Is there a way to pinpoint this in a call for tender?

Best regards,
Thomas

Thomas Roth

GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung GmbH
Planckstraße 1, 64291 Darmstadt, Germany, www.gsi.de

Commercial Register / Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Darmstadt, HRB 1528
Managing Directors / Geschäftsführung:
Professor Dr. Paolo Giubellino, Dr. Ulrich Breuer, Jörg Blaurock
Chairman of the Supervisory Board / Vorsitzender des GSI-Aufsichtsrats:
State Secretary / Staatssekretär Dr. Volkmar Dietz