[lustre-discuss] [EXTERNAL] [BULK] MDS hardware - NVME?

Cameron Harr harr1 at llnl.gov
Wed Jan 10 12:17:36 PST 2024

On 1/10/24 11:59, Thomas Roth via lustre-discuss wrote:
> Actually we had MDTs on software raid-1 *connecting two JBODs* for
> quite some time - worked surprisingly well and stable.

I'm glad it's working for you!

> Hmm, if you have your MDTs on a zpool of mirrors aka raid-10, wouldn't
> going towards raidz2 increase data safety, something you don't need if
> the SSDs anyhow never fail? Doesn't raidz2 protect against failure of
> *any* two disks - in a pool of mirrors the second failure could
> destroy one mirror?

With raidz2 you can replace any disk in the raid group, but there's also
a lot more drives that can fail. With mirrors, there's a 1:1 replacement
ratio with essentially no rebuild time. Of course that assumes the 2
drives you lost weren't the 2 drives in the same mirror, but we consider
that low-probability. ZFS is also smart enough to (try to) suspend the
pool if if it loses too many devices. And, the striped mirrors may see
better performance over Z2.