[lustre-discuss] The confusion for mds hardware requirement

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Mon Mar 11 02:34:19 PDT 2024

All of the numbers in this example are estimates/approximations to give an idea about the amount of memory that the MDS may need under normal operating circumstances.  However, the MDS will also continue to function with more or less memory.  The actual amount of memory in use will change very significantly based on application type, workload, etc. and the numbers "256" and "100,000" are purely examples of how many files might be in use.

I'm not sure you can "test" those numbers, because whatever number of files you test with will be the number of files actually in use.  You could potentially _measure_ the number of files/locks in use on a large cluster, but again this will be highly site and application dependent.

Cheers, Andreas