[Lustre-devel] Global generic database

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Fri Feb 15 23:40:46 PST 2008

On Feb 15, 2008  20:50 +0300, Alexander Zarochentsev wrote:
> On 13 February 2008 21:23:50 Nathaniel Rutman wrote:
> > The design of various new features in Lustre call for global
> > (filesystem wide) databases, accessible from
> > clients or other servers:
> > A. pools - pool descriptions (pool #1 = OSTs 1-10,30-60), pool
> > policies (all .jpg files to pool #1)
> > B. filesets - fileset policies (log creates on fileset #1 to feed
> > "foo") C. HSM - (aureleien - what was the use case here?)
> >
> > We've already implemented at least 2 of these:
> > D. Fid Location Database - (is this done?)
> > E. configuration parameters - stored in MGS llogs
>
> Сould be the same (file?) interface used for anything Lustre-specific
> under /proc? Anyway we need a /proc replacement for use-level lustre
> servers.

There won't immediately be a /proc replacement for uOSS.  Instead, there
will be a new "lctl {get,set}_param" command that reads/writes the
same proc entries.  At some later time we will make a .lustre/proc
directory which will allow access to the files currently in /proc,
possibly also allowing access to /proc values on all lustre nodes.
That hasn't been designed yet, but would definitely be convenient.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.