[Lustre-devel] Re-direction inodes

Peter Braam Peter.Braam at Sun.COM
Mon Jun 2 05:07:39 PDT 2008

On 6/2/08 8:11 PM, "Nikita Danilov" <Nikita.Danilov at Sun.COM> wrote:

> Peter Braam writes:
>> Hi Nikita -
>>
>> I have a need in doing an architecture for a customer of a Lustre client
>> feature to have different data/page caches associated with an inode,
>> depending on the user that accesses it.    So when a file is read, user A
>> will read different data from user B (assume the same for writes, but I
>> think this is a read-only feature).
>>
>> I remember that in the Coda file system we could easily re-direct I/O to
>> another inode using almost standard features in the VFS/page caches.  Is
>> this still the case?  Would this work for the purpose I describe above?
>
> I am not sure how this can be done with the VFS mechanisms. Alex pointed
> out that some kind of stacked file system similar to smfs can be used
> for this purpose.

Thanks for replying so quickly. After I read your reply I began to realize
that what Coda does is too static to solve this problem.

I'm going to schedule some phone time with you to discuss this further -
because the customer I am talking to needs something and there are two
approaches, one is smfs the other is to re-do the pre-processing of the
files on the client when there are multiple different user views (neither is
all that nice).

Peter