[Lustre-devel] LustreFS performance

Vitaly Fertman Vitaly.Fertman at Sun.COM
Tue Mar 10 09:40:53 PDT 2009

On Mar 10, 2009, at 2:55 PM, Mallik Ragampudi wrote:

> Vitaly,
>
> This is very comprehensive. Few comments:
>
> 1) I think it would be good to start with LLT2 (lustre-iokit: ior-
> survey) and get an out-of-the-box performance
> picture/comparison (1.6 and 2.0) from the whole cluster before
> testing the individual layers.

LLT2 is about underlying local fs on servers, not Lustre.
the overall ior-survey is OSTT3 (it was wrongly mentioned as ost-survey
in the document header, sorry, it must be ior-survey as written
in the detailed section)

> 2) Can this plan be extended to include CMD performance testing as
> well ? I would expect that most
> of your test cases apply for the CMD as well ?

sure, I will extend it.

> 3) I assume the "CPU" parameter in your methodology refers to # of
> CPUs in MDS, right ?

to the server which is being tested at the moment, i.e. OST for OST*
tests,
MDS fro MDS* tests. In the mixed section it refers to MDS indeed.

> 4) I am not sure if we can test 32 cores without hitting other
> bottlenecks beyond 8 coress on the servers.

if we hit some bottleneck, we will get a problem to solve, what is
good ;)
however, to see the bottleneck from these results, it is better to run
MT
tests with different amount of CPUs (the same as for all the CPU
tests, 1,2,8,32).

--
Vitaly