[Lustre-devel] dealloc in 1.8.4 and RHEL5.5

Bernd Schubert bs_lists at aakef.fastmail.fm
Wed Jul 28 17:13:12 PDT 2010

Hi all,

I see that dealloc is disabled in 1.8.4 by default also for RedHat kernels. I
think it is a good idea to do that for RHEL 54 kernels, as I run into slight
filesystem corruption on our test cluster, which I cannot explain except that
the filesystem might have caused it. That was with 1.8.3 and ext4-ldiskfs with
enabled dealloc.

Now my question is if dealloc really should be disabled for 1.8.4, as it will
be based on RHEL 5.5 kernels. And as ext4 in 5.5 is based on 2.6.32, dealloc
should work without much risk, shouldn't it? Or does it just need some
testing? Unfortunately, I do not have a suitable reproducer for the issue
above.

Thanks,
Bernd

--