[Lustre-devel] merges to b2_<x>

Prakash Surya surya1 at llnl.gov
Tue Aug 7 09:08:54 PDT 2012

Looking at the man page for git-cherry-pick, I'm not sure the "-x"
option would entirely work:

    "Append the note only for cherry picks without conflicts."

How often do the backported patches apply without conflicts? With the
amount of code change taking place, my guess is conflicts are normal
operation. A developer enforced convention detailing the commit
backported and perhaps what and why changes were necessary to apply
cleanly would suffice. So long as it doesn't clutter the commit message.

Another way to do this would be to use the same Change-Id field for the
backported patch. One could grep for the Change-Id in the commit logs
relatively easily, although I'm not sure how the review system would
handle this.

--
Cheers, Prakash