[Lustre-devel] [wc-discuss] Important changes to libcfs primitives usage.

Dilger, Andreas andreas.dilger at intel.com
Sat Dec 15 01:12:16 PST 2012

On 2012-12-14, at 23:28, "Alexey Lyahkov" <alexey_lyashkov at xyratex.com> wrote:
> you may confirm any platfrom isn't intersect with linux names for that ?
> I not sure. cfs_ prefix introduce a private namespace which may implemented at any way
> I remember that discussion in LUG, but we have a decision to continue discussion about it, but you are stop discussion and make changes without it.

I don't think it is fair to say there was no discussion. It was discussed at LUG and SC Lustre BOF and on the list.

While I would be thrilled if there was a native MacOS and Windows client for Lustre, realistically there is nothing today.  The MacOS client is not maintained, and the Windows client is stick inside Oracle.

In contrast, only the Linux client is on use today, so it makes sense to focus effort on this instead of spending time on maintaining portability code that is not useful to us.

If the other clients were usable, perhaps a different decision would be made.

> I'm strongly about it.
> I remember you idea about landing lustre client in kernel tree but that may introduce hard problem with supporting stable code, so we need to discuss and find way - how we will have and support a stable code in opposite to development version in kernel tree.

Yes, there are potential issues and effort with putting the client into the kernel, but also benefits as well. Faster support for new kernels, less effort spent to catch up to new changes in the kernel, better distro support.

> I strongly against to do it without discussion with all affected persons and companies.

I'm open for discussion. You've voiced some objection to this plan, so please explain the benefits of not cleaning up old code from Lustre, not removing useless abstractions, and npt putting the client into the kernel.

Cheers, Andreas