[Lustre-devel] Language choice for Lustre tests

Jacques-Charles Lafoucriere jacques-charles.lafoucriere at cea.fr
Tue Oct 23 12:39:49 PDT 2012

hello all

I personally always had difficulties with perl ...
the code is generally very hard to read, and the language brings very
quickly to tricky optimization only experts understood
python is a more generic language, very easy to learn and if we make the
right basic object definitions, it will help a lot for future
improvement and code structure
at CEA our admin tools like shine or cluster-shell are python based and
this choice allows us in getting scallable/reliable tools
For example, the initial version of shine (~6 years ago) was perl based
and we were pleased to move to python for the new design

The target is lustre developers (ie kernel developers), it will be much
easier for them to learn python than perl.
it will also be easier for them to get the right "python" way of
programming than the right "perl" way of programming
(in both cases the worst way is to use the new language as bash, which
can arrive much quickly with perl than with python)

about python, what do you mean by non standard installation ?
if your python configuration is right, the local differences should be
hidden to the test framework

Bye

JC