[Lustre-devel] mounting a device twice

Dilger, Andreas andreas.dilger at intel.com
Wed Jul 24 19:39:20 PDT 2013

You can do this because the kernel is not actually mounting the block device twice. Lustre is mounting the block device internally as type ldiskfs and the second mount will be like a bind mount of the same filesystem root tree.

I do this on my local filesystem for quick debugging, but it isn't strictly safe on an active filesystem because modifications can render the Lustre and on disk state inconsistent.

Cheers, Andreas