[Lustre-devel] Lustre on Intel Xeon Phi

Eremin, Dmitry dmitry.eremin at intel.com
Fri Oct 4 04:53:15 PDT 2013

The support of Lustre for Intel Xeon Phi with MPSS 2.1 was introduced in Lustre 2.4. Then the support was extended for MPSS 3.x but in Lustre 2.5 only.

How to compile Lustre with MPSS 2.1

Got to http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-manycore-platform-software-stack-mpss and download the SOURCE package. Unpack it and find the package-full_src-k1om.tar.bz2 file. Unpack this archive in any location, for example in "/opt/intel/mic/src", then go to this location and execute the following commands:

make defconfig-miclinux
make -C card/kernel ARCH=k1om modules_prepare

Now the Intel Xeon Phi kernel is ready for Lustre compilation. Go to location with Lustre sources and execute the following commands:

# NOTE: You should have "intel-mic-gpl-<version>.x86_64" package installed.
export PATH=/usr/linux-k1om-4.7/bin:$PATH
sh autogen.sh
./configure --with-linux=/opt/intel/mic/src/card/kernel \
--disable-server --disable-tests --disable-doc --without-o2ib \
--host=x86_64-k1om-linux --build=x86_64-pc-linux
make rpms

The following RPMs should be installed on Intel Xeon host with Phi card and Lustre will be deployed to Phi card:

lustre-client-mic-<version>.x86_64.rpm
lustre-client-mic-modules-<version>.x86_64.rpm

After MPSS service restart it's ready to configure and use.

Dmitry.