[lustre-devel] HSM phase 2 HLD / Roadmap?

Dilger, Andreas andreas.dilger at intel.com
Tue Jun 16 08:21:58 PDT 2015

I think there are a few features that would be of interest for HSM
improvement.

* optimization of RobinHood database/POSIX copytool
* better integration with DNE
* partial file restore using composite files
(http://wiki.opensfs.org/images/e/e4/LayoutEnhancementDesign_HighLevelDesig
n.pdf)
   * change HSM to use LOV EA layout instead of dedicated xattr
   * allowing a larger HSM archive ID (e.g. 128-bit UUID) so it can be
     used as the primary archive identifier instead of Lustre FID
* archive/restore of directory trees from the MDT as tarballs
   * allow release/restore of space from the MDT
   * would be needed for handling Data-on-MDT files

Note that we don't have any plans to work on this, just listing some ideas
percolating in my brain.

Lustre Software Architect
Intel High Performance Data Division