[lustre-devel] lctl dl - different devices with same device name

Faaland, Olaf P. faaland1 at llnl.gov
Tue May 16 11:03:32 PDT 2017

Hi All,

This is regarding Lustre 2.8 FE – 2.8.0 + backported bug fixes.

Typically our MDS nodes run only a single MDT.  When this is the case, lctl dl produces 25 lines of output:

Osd
Mgc
Mds
Lod
Mdt
Mdd
Lwp
And 19 osp’s – one for each other lustre target in the file system.

Two of these devices listed, the mdt and the mdd, have the same name.  For example,

4 UP mdt lquake-MDT000f lquake-MDT000f-UUID 327
5 UP mdd lquake-MDT000f lquake-MDT000f-UUID 4

Is it correct that they have the same name?  I ask, because the functions jt_device() calls assume that they can uniquely map from a name to a device number, but in this case that’s not possible.

I could improve the utility code easily enough, but I don’t know if the device names are correct or not.  There’s no evidence the file system isn’t working correctly.

-Olaf