[lustre-devel] Run acceptance tests on client side only

Patrick Farrell pfarrell at whamcloud.com
Wed Jan 30 11:01:50 PST 2019

Aurelien,

We played with this idea some when I was at Cray, and I believe we decided it wasn't worth it.  Many, many tests - maybe a majority - depend on running commands on the server.  Many are intentionally destructive in various ways, and since we don't test them with other data on the file system, some of them are probably *accidentally* destructive as well.

My conclusion then was that the test framework tests (acceptance small included) are not designed to be run A) without server access, or B ) on any kind of production file system.

It would be possible to create a curated client only & non-destructive list, but it would be a lot of work, and it would miss large areas of the test framework.  (Many tests which are primarily client require some manipulation of the server (settings, cache dropping, fail loc...) to work.)

- Patrick