[Lustre-discuss] Lustre 1.6.3 - where are the bug fixes?

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Sun Nov 4 13:45:44 PST 2007

On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 09:31:46AM -0700, Jim Garlick wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, Niklas Edmundsson wrote:
>
> > In reality, I think that doing non-QA'd snapshot releases might be the
> > way to go. That is, releases with the useful more-or-less trivial
> > fixes that avoids crashes etc. and that will be included in the next
> > QA'd release.
>
> Yes, we find ourselves carrying a lot of bugfix patches in our
> internal Lustre releases (50+ in our last production release based
> on 1.4.8, already 30+ in our release planned for january based on 1.6.2).
>
> I think it would be useful if CFS would freeze features in a release at
> some point and do bugfix-only releases.  For example, we're trying to
> get 1.6.2 stablized for production use and we know that many bugfixes
> that we need are in 1.6.3, but we have to backport them because we don't
> want to destablize our effort by taking the features in 1.6.3.

This sounds like a lot of duplicated effort that if CFS did not want to
support could be managed by a decent distributed source control system
(either git or mercurial), and the interested 'power users'.

It's also annoying that a quick web search for 'Lustre CVS' turns up a
bunch of ancient or dead links. If I could get the latest Lustre
development version from a *public* source control server, I'd be using
Lustre for testing remote filesystem access over InfiniBand WAN links.
As it is, the only parallel filesystem I can easily find with a public
source control server is PVFS, so that's what I'm using, and it works
quite nicely.