[Lustre-discuss] Failover for MGS

Nathan Rutman Nathan.Rutman at Sun.COM
Mon Nov 12 12:49:01 PST 2007

Robert LeBlanc wrote:
> Ok, I feel really stupid. I've done this before without any problem, but I
> can't seem to get it to work and I can't find my notes from the last time I
> did it. We have separate MGS and MDTs. I can't seem to get our MGS to
> failover correctly after reformatting it.
>
> mkfs.lustre --mkfsoptions="-O dir_index" --reformat --mgs
> --failnode=192.168.1.253 at o2ib /dev/mapper/ldiskc-part1

The MGS doesn't actually use the --failnode option (although it won't
hurt).  You actually have to tell the other nodes
in the system (servers and clients) about the failover options for the
MGS (use the --mgsnode parameter on servers, and mount address for
clients).   The reason is because the servers must contact the MGS for
the configuration information, and they can't ask the MGS where its
failover partner is if e.g. the failover partner is the one that's running.