[Lustre-discuss] Dedicated MGS?

Charles Taylor taylor at hpc.ufl.edu
Sun Nov 18 17:48:03 PST 2007

This may be in the documentation.   If so, I missed it.

If a site has multiple Lustre file systems, the documentation implies
that there only needs to be a single MGS for an entire site
(regardless of the number of file systems).     However, I also know
it is fairly common to have a combined MGS/MDT.     So here are the
questions.

1. If we are going to have several Lustre file systems, is there any
reason not to create each one with its own combined MGS/MDT?

2. Can an MGS which is a combined MGS/MDT for one file system serve
as the MGS for one or more other file systems where the MGS and MDT
are separate?

3. Is there any reason why doing several separate combined MGS/MDTs
(one for each file system) won't work?

What are other sites w/ multiple Lustre file systems doing?    A
dedicated MGS seems like a costly option.

Thanks,

Charlie Taylor
UF HPC Center