[Lustre-discuss] Dedicated MGS?

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Mon Nov 19 16:03:02 PST 2007

On Nov 18, 2007  20:48 -0500, Charles Taylor wrote:
> If a site has multiple Lustre file systems, the documentation implies
> that there only needs to be a single MGS for an entire site
> (regardless of the number of file systems).     However, I also know
> it is fairly common to have a combined MGS/MDT.     So here are the
> questions.
>
> 1. If we are going to have several Lustre file systems, is there any
> reason not to create each one with its own combined MGS/MDT?

Not that I'm aware of, with the restriction that you can only have a
single MGS running on a node at a time.  If you have failover MDSes,
then they need to share an MGS.

> 2. Can an MGS which is a combined MGS/MDT for one file system serve
> as the MGS for one or more other file systems where the MGS and MDT
> are separate?

It's possible, but seems klunky...  It means the combined MGS/MDT needs
to be started to also start the other filesystems.

> 3. Is there any reason why doing several separate combined MGS/MDTs
> (one for each file system) won't work?

See above.

> What are other sites w/ multiple Lustre file systems doing?    A
> dedicated MGS seems like a costly option.

A dedicated MGS doesn't mean a wholly separate node.  It might just
be a small partition shared among a few failover nodes.

Sr. Software Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.