[Lustre-discuss] Hardware Question

Andreas Dilger adilger at clusterfs.com
Wed Oct 10 08:26:26 PDT 2007

On Oct 06, 2007  10:28 -0400, Aaron Knister wrote:
> Oh, right I forgot about that. Well...if i had an 8tb lun and split
> it into 2 volume groups using LVM do you think the performance would
> be worse than making 2 raids at the hardware level?

Well, it won't be doing the disks any favours, since you'll now have
contention between the OSTs, and the kernel will be doing a poor job
with the IO elevator decisions.  I would suggest making 2 smaller RAID
LUNs instead.

In the end it is up to you to decide if the IO performance is acceptable.
You can do some testing using lustre-iokit to see what the component
device performance is.

> On Oct 5, 2007, at 6:18 PM, Andreas Dilger wrote:
>
> >On Oct 05, 2007  13:14 -0400, Aaron Knister wrote:
> >>Make that 6x 9.7TB luns.
> >
> >Lustre (== ext3) doesn't support >= 8TB LUNs.

Principal Software Engineer
Cluster File Systems, Inc.