[Lustre-discuss] Lustre 1.6.3 - where are the bug fixes?

Jim Garlick garlick at llnl.gov
Fri Oct 12 09:31:46 PDT 2007

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, Niklas Edmundsson wrote:

> In reality, I think that doing non-QA'd snapshot releases might be the
> way to go. That is, releases with the useful more-or-less trivial
> fixes that avoids crashes etc. and that will be included in the next
> QA'd release.

Yes, we find ourselves carrying a lot of bugfix patches in our
internal Lustre releases (50+ in our last production release based
on 1.4.8, already 30+ in our release planned for january based on 1.6.2).

I think it would be useful if CFS would freeze features in a release at
some point and do bugfix-only releases.  For example, we're trying to
get 1.6.2 stablized for production use and we know that many bugfixes
that we need are in 1.6.3, but we have to backport them because we don't
want to destablize our effort by taking the features in 1.6.3.

I will say in CFS's defense that we abuse Lustre in ways that not all
customers do, and so in some cases a bugfix to us might be controversial
to apply to a stable release series.  Not true of all the patches
wer are carrying though.

Jim