[Lustre-discuss] Lustre 1.6.3 - where are the bug fixes?

Andreas Dilger adilger at clusterfs.com
Fri Oct 12 09:52:41 PDT 2007

On Oct 12, 2007  18:20 +0200, Patrick Winnertz wrote:
> Am Freitag, 12. Oktober 2007 12:29:08 schrieb Andreas Dilger:
> > On Oct 12, 2007  08:53 +0200, Niklas Edmundsson wrote:
> > > OK, I know that there is supposedly some QA before lustre releases and
> > > that it might be the reason for fixes taking such a long time to
> > > propagate, but still: It takes too long for fixes to end up in a
> > > released version...
> >
> > I tend to agree that it does take a long time between releases, and
> > we are definitely trying to improve this.
> >
> > > The pkg-lustre packaging has six fixes from bugzilla applied, they
> > > seem to have munged the bug numbers but it seems that only three of
> > > them are in the 1.6.3 changelog.
> >
> > Could you please indicate which bugs are missing?
>
> I'm one of the debian maintainers and I started today to package 1.6.3 and
> look through your bugzilla in order to get all patches which are necessary
> to build a stable package.

Actually, what I'M interested in is which patches you have in the Debian
packages that are not in the CFS release.  We obviously want to include
such fixes into our release, and I agree that our patch-tracking process
can miss fixes on occasion, so having feedback from the Debian maintainers
would definitely help avoid such issues.

> While doing so i detect that your changelog on your website is not
> completly correct. (It's missing some bugs which are closed in the 1.6.3
> release):
> This bugs are:
>  - 13610

This relates to a fix made to a patch that was itself landed before 1.6.3
was released, so our policy is to not mention this as a separate fix in
the ChangeLog, to avoid clutter.

>  - 12475

This one is only an error message fix.  We don't necessarily add every
change into the ChangeLog, as this makes it too noisy to see the important
fixes going in.

>  - 5491
>  - 11880

These two were landed 1.6.3, but the proper processes weren't being followed.

Principal Software Engineer
Cluster File Systems, Inc.