[Lustre-discuss] Lustre on mpath devices

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Wed Oct 24 21:05:48 PDT 2007

On Oct 24, 2007  17:49 -0700, Klaus Steden wrote:
> Does an FS label (i.e. LUSTRE-OST0001) provide the same functionality as the
> consistent device name that the multipath device-mapper provides?

That depends...  It depends on what "blkid -t LABEL={fsname}-OST0001"
returns.  It _should_ be smart enough to return the DM device, but
it is prudent to make sure of this.  There shouldn't be any problem
with mounting the Lustre filesystems by LABEL= (which is one reason we
moved to a mount-based setup).

> On 10/24/07 5:43 PM, "Klaus Steden" <klaus.steden at thomson.net>did etch on
> stone tablets:
> > Does a multipathed setup automatically address failover, or is STONITH
> > configuration still required to automatically remap devices normally served
> > by downed servers?

No, multipath doesn't help failover at all, it only prevents device access
problems for the one node accessing the OST filesystem.

> > On 10/24/07 4:09 PM, "Cliff White" <Cliff.White at Sun.COM>did etch on stone
> > tablets:

> >> Lustre needs a consistent device name, so I would say yes.

> >> No, as long as you give Lustre something that looks like a block device
> >> it's fine. There is no special setup for multipath devices. Which is why
> >> the consistent device name is important.
> >>
> >> cliffw

Sr. Software Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.